President Bola Tinubu has urged voters in Osun State to turn out for Saturday’s governorship election and freely cast their ballots for candidates of their choice without fear or intimidation.
Tinubu made the call on Thursday at the grand finale of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship campaign in Osogbo, where he was represented by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.
The President also urged political stakeholders to shun violence, intimidation and harassment before, during and after the election, assuring voters that adequate security measures had been put in place to protect them.
Tinubu stated, “Let me assure all Osun indigenes that adequate security havebeen provided all over the state to ensure people come out to cast their votes for the candidate of their choice without any fear or intimidation.
“Feel very free to cast your votes for the candidate of your choice. My advice, however, is that you choose wisely because there is need to link Osun State to the centre. We are waiting for Osun to join us.
“I can assure you that nobody will molest you. You can only be molested on social media and not during voting. Nobody will harass or intimidate one another. Go out and vote a party of your choice and choose wisely.”
Akpabio, who represented the President at the rally, said Tinubu would not allow anyone to undermine Nigeria’s democracy.
“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu fought for democracy, therefore, he would not allow anybody to molest the already established democracy,” he said.
Akpabio subsequently presented the APC flag to the party’s governorship candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, describing it as the “flag of authority and power”.
“This is your symbol of your authority,” he said.
Tinubu, in a statement issued by Akpabio’s media office, expressed confidence in the APC’s chances of winning the election, saying the large turnout at the rally demonstrated the party’s growing acceptance in the state.
“From the crowd here today, I am more than convinced that APC is the dominant party in Osun State,” he said.
Akpabio also thanked opposition figures, including former governor and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain Olagunsoye Oyinlola, for supporting Oyebamiji.
“Let me, on behalf of Mr President, thank the opposition parties in the state led by former governor and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, for queuing behind our candidate,” he said.
He said the development showed that the APC was capable of accommodating people across political divides.
Beyond the election, Akpabio urged Oyebamiji to prioritise infrastructure development and improve living conditions in the state if elected.
“On a personal note, I am not impressed by the condition of roads from Ibadan to this state. Osun deserves more than this. Osun should be better than what we have now,” he said.
He charged the APC candidate to begin transforming the state immediately after assuming office.
“Let me at this point charge our incoming governor, AMBO, to ensure that he transforms Osun State through the provision of quality infrastructure and delivery of true dividends of democracy from his very first day in office,” Akpabio said.
Adeleke Condemns Esa-Oke Killings
Meanwhile, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has condemned the recent killings in Esa-Oke and the subsequent destruction of property, while directing security agencies to intensify operations in the area.
Adeleke also commiserated with the families of those killed and other victims of political violence across the state.
He described the incident as a consequence of reckless political incitement and urged political leaders and their supporters to refrain from actions capable of triggering further violence.
“We all have families and friends. We should not preach violence. Senator Fadahunsi issued killing directive; the next day, somebody was killed at Esa Oke, his own zone,” Adeleke said.
The governor also alleged that more than 20 homes belonging to Accord Party members were raided in Ikire, with some members reportedly arrested and others having their homes vandalised.
“Apart Esa Oke, over 20 homes of Accord members were raided last night at Ikire. Some were illegally arrested while houses of others were vandalised. This is not politics again.
“I challenge our opponents to let us fight through the ballot. Since we are practising democracy, we must allow our people to vote. My strength and that of my party is God and the people. We are winning on Saturday.”
Adeleke urged residents across Esa-Oke, Ijeshaland and the wider state to resist attacks and counter-attacks, stressing that every voter must be allowed to cast their ballot freely.
Police Tighten Security
Ahead of the poll, Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Disu announced a ban on state-established security outfits, quasi-security groups and private security organisations from participating in election-security duties.
The IGP also reiterated the prohibition on armed escorts, security aides and other unauthorised persons accompanying political figures or VIPs to polling units and collation centres.
He warned political actors, supporters and “all intending troublemakers” that ballot snatching, voter intimidation, political thuggery and other electoral offences would attract prompt arrest and prosecution.
Disu also deployed Deputy Inspector-General of Police Ishyaku Mohammed to coordinate election-security operations in Osun.
According to the police, Mohammed will work with other security agencies under the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security, while senior police officers have been deployed across the state’s three senatorial districts.
“The Force has put in place adequate security arrangements for the protection of voters, INEC personnel, election materials, polling units, collation centres, accredited observers and media practitioners before, during and after the election,” the police said.
The Force reassured voters and residents of adequate security and urged them to exercise their franchise peacefully.
Meanwhile, the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Jibrin Barau, urged Osun voters to support Oyebamiji, arguing that electing an APC governor would return the state to the political mainstream and accelerate development.
Barau said Osun had significant human and natural resources but lacked the leadership required to harness them.
“Osun State is a state that has enormous potential and enormous resources, both natural and human. But the problem is that it doesn’t have a governor to harness these resources.
“What is needed at this moment is to elect APC’s AMBO, who has the requisite pedigree and the requisite background to harness these resources.”







